Saturday, April 7, 2012

Remember: A year ago today (Part 2)

A year ago today, I was living in Fort Worth, Texas, pursuing my Christian counseling degree at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Meanwhile, Mitch was living in Plano, Texas, working and writing for Josh McDowell at JMM's home office. A year ago today, I spent so much time worrying about whether I should stay at Southwestern or transfer to a different seminary. I worried about my relationship with Mitch and whether he was the one that God would allow me to marry. I worried about living so far away from my family and Mitch's. I worried about what God's will for my life was. And the list (sadly) goes on. However, in spite of my anxious and doubting heart, God's faithfulness and provisions this past year have been absolutely incredible. God's glory is portrayed and His faithfulness displayed by simply reflecting back a year to see where God has brought you from and what He has brought you through. 

A year ago today, on April 7, 2011, Mitch drove down to Fort Worth, convinced me to leave class early, and proposed to me in the middle of campus. How many hours (and years... lets be honest) I agonized over who I was going to marry or if I was ever going to marry! How much time I could have saved myself if I had only trusted in God and in His faithful provisions! There were so many times that Mitch and I doubted whether our relationship would make it until the next day, much less marriage; and yet look at how far God has brought us! Remembering the past year reminds me that with God, all things are possible. 


After getting engaged, Mitch and I both felt that God was calling me to move ahead with joining staff with Campus Crusade for Christ. At the end of May, I left Southwestern and we travelled out to Fort Collins, Colorado, for New Staff Training. We spent the summer immersed in training, Biblical studies, and Christian fellowship with fellow Crusade staff. Although there were many times that I questioned and doubted my calling to Campus Crusade, I knew that I was called to marry Mitch and therefore needed to be on staff. However, God blessed us so greatly that summer with wonderful new friends and a new vision for how He was planning on using us. Remembering the past year reminds me that God will never met me "miss" His will for my life.


At the beginning of training, Mitch and I were on staff with Josh McDowell Ministries and were planning on heading back to the main office in Plano once we raised our support. However, at the end of training, we felt God was calling us to answer a need on a local campus. Although we had everything carefully planned, God had different plans for us. The switch from JMM to campus left us very unsure. However, God is faithful and He has used us here at Southern Miss in ways we could have never imagined! Remembering the past year reminds me that God's plan for my life is so much greater than my own!


After training, Mitch and I moved to
Columbus, GA, to raise our financial support. On September 24, 2011, we were finally married (longest 5 months of my life!). We took a week off for our honeymoon and then headed back to Columbus to continue our support raising journey. Raising support brought a whole new load of fears, doubts, uncertainties, and lies straight from the enemy. What if we never raise our support? What if God doesn't want us to complete our support? Is it fair that we are asking people to financially support us? And it goes on, and on, and on. Writing this today, and remembering where we were during this time is so encouraging and incredible! God provided for our needs above and beyond our hopes and dreams and He raised up our supporters in less than 5 months! Remembering the past year reminds me that God will always provide for the needs of those who do His will.

In January, Mitch and I packed up our things and moved to Hattiesburg, Mississippi to begin working with students at the University of Southern Mississippi. Neither of us had ever spent time in Mississippi for longer than a couple days and we knew only the members of our staff team. In the first couple of weeks we worried about finding a church, finding community, and finding comfort in a new city. God has provided all of these things and more in the 2 1/2 short months that we have been here. Mitch and I have fallen in love with Hattiesburg and all the amazing students we know here! The ministry has flourished in ways we never even thought possible for the first year of a new movement. We have committed to stay here for 4 years and we couldn't be more excited to see what God has in store for us and for Southern Miss. Remembering the past year reminds me that God is actively using us to further His kingdom and that He deems us worthy to spread the great news.

Just last week, God blessed Mitch and I with the opportunity to buy our first house. Because we felt that He was calling us to commit to 4 years, we decided that purchasing a house was financially more responsible than renting for 4 years. God enabled us to meet a sweet Christian couple who was looking to sell their house and He was faithful in providing us the funds and wisdom to buy it! The house is close to campus and will be a wonderful place to have students over for worship, study and fellowship. Remembering the past year reminds me that God desires to bless and prosper those who love Him and strive to follow His decrees.

How humbling and encouraging it is to be able to look back over the past year and see how God delivers, provides, sanctifies, and prospers those whom He loves. God's past faithfulness is an indicator of His future provisions for us. Remembering enables us to focus solely on God's faithfulness and most importantly, His glory. Praise be to God for all the amazing things He has done, is doing, and will do for and through those who are called according to His purpose!

1 comment:

  1. This post is such a joy to read! I'm so happy you have both sought the heart of God with every decision. He's truly a trustworthy Father!

    ReplyDelete