Friday, April 29, 2016

What I Didn't Know About Autism {Autism Awareness Month}

This time last year, I knew very little about Autism. I knew that Max on the TV show Parenthood had Autism. I knew that some people thought vaccines caused Autism (which I now know is NOT true). I knew that April was Autism Awareness Month and that April 2nd was World Autism Day. I knew that Levi's doctors and therapists speculated that he had Autism. And I knew, deep in the back of my mind, that they were right.

I "knew" that Autism was scary. I "knew" that Autism was awkward. I "knew" that Autism was violent. And I "knew" that Autism was never, ever what I wanted for my family.

Fast forward to today, a year later, and let me share what I know now:

I didn't know Autism at all. 

Autism is observant; reveling in the small, intricate details of life that the rest of us never stop to treasure.

Autism is dedicated; working 10 times harder and 10 times longer than everyone else for each new skill and accomplishment.

Autism is content; never needing or wanting anything more than what is already had.

Autism is fiercely loyal; dedicated to and protective of those that are special enough to be trusted.

Autism is proactive; working hard to identify the root of a problem and how to fix it.

Autism is happy; expressing joy all the way from a beaming smile down to flapping hands and kicking feet.

Autism is curious; desiring to know anything and everything about how an objects works.

Autism is disciplined; living life adhering rules and routines without hesitation or complaint.

Autism is loving; daily proving that love is an action that does not need a single word to be expressed.

Autism is sacrificial; trying new things for others even when it is extremely uncomfortable.

Autism is resilient; gracious and forgiving of every stare, point and sneer.

Autism is steadfast; living daily in a world that it does not understand nor feel accepted in.

Autism is funny. Autism is passionate. Autism is intelligent. Autism is creative. Autism is expressive. And Autism is strong.

Autism is Levi and Levi is Autism.

So, this April, I do not want you to be aware of Autism. I want you to know Autism, accept Autism, and love Autism because it is so much greater than you could ever imagine.

Autism is everything I wanted for our family and more.


4 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Amy. I'm so proud of you. You are such a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Levi is precious and loved. :) thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I share on Facebook?! There is so much that I LOVE about this post, and as a Rehabilitation Counselor I'd love to spread your word. -Brooke McCray

    ReplyDelete